GEDitCOM II Release Notes
This page highlights the new features in each new release of GEDitCOM II. More details
on all features can be found by choosing "GEDitCOM II Help" from the
"Help" menu while running GEDitCOM II.
Version 2.0 (released 17 Aug 2014)
The most signficant changes were the introduction of "Extensions" (or GEDitCOM II plug ins), dynamic editing in trees, and redesigned help window:
- Tested in 10.6 (now required) through Mavericks (10.9)
- Scripts and User Interfaces Formats are all redone as Extensions and Browser Styles. Extensions are more powerful, easier to install, delete, and download, and individually documented.
- The "Restore Resources" feature has a new option to do a clean update, which replaces the entire GEDitCOM II "System" folder with a clean copy. You should use this clean option the first time version 2.0 is run to replace all the old-style scripts with the new extensions.
- Family tree charts are now fully dynamic and have added numerous options to directly edit your data in the tree. Previous charts would update as you changed details on an individual, but did not update when individuals were deleted or added to family trees. Now all editing actions are reflected in all opened tree charts. The editing options are done by control clicking on cells or by dropping records on top of cells.
- The built-in Help content was extensively rewritten to focus each help topic on individual tasks (rather than very long topics) and to work better with Apple's help viewer (which now means it is searchable in the Help Viewer).
- The "Default Format" now shows portraits of individuals and families in the main pane of the browser window.
- Family tree charts now indicate unmarried couples with dotted lines instead of solid lines.
- There are now separate "Create Son" and "Daughter" buttons in the attach child dialog box.
- The many windows to select a record (e.g., to attach a child, a spouse, etc.) often let you select a record, type text to find a record, or type text and then create a new record. A common mistake is for users to type text for a new record, but then click 'OK' that tells GEDitCOM II to use the currently selected record instead of creating a new record. To avoid this problem, GEDitCOM II now warns you if text typed in the find field does not match the currently selected record.
- The search panel now reports the number of matches found at the top of the panel.
- The "Descendants by Generations" extension added an option to omit dates and places of living individuals and added easy customization to include extra events in the output.
- The "Descendants Outline" extension added an option to omit dates and places of living individuals.
- The "Assumed Century" and "Maximum Generations" preferences used to require a restart to become active. They now take affect immediately.
- The column hilighting in the index window could have been wrong after opening that same list in a panel and resorting in the panel. The column hilighting now remains consistent with all changes in sorting.
- The cells in relationship charts did not work for all styles of column labels, but now they do
- Many minor bug fixes and interface enhancements.
- GEDitCOM Editor Changes
- GEDitCOM Editor can now open and edit the new "Plug In" or "Extension" file format defined by GEDitCOM II, version 2.0.
- The built-in Help content was extensively rewritten to work better with Apple's help viewer (which now means it is searchable in the Help Viewer).
- All help on writing scripts (i.e., programming details), was moved from GEDitCOM II help to the GEDitCOM Editor help instead.
Version 1.8 (released 30 Sep 2012)
This minor update is mainly to sign the code in the Apple-approved (and insisted) manner so Mountain Lion will not warn you the code is unsiged. Besides this fix, a few minor changes were:
- New menu command to empty cache used for Place Advisor display.
- Improved relationship calculations. The calculations are now symmetric between two individuals, and certain relations (that were not really unique) are now removed.
- The method used to control labeling in tree chart view compared to tree outline view has been changed from the previous, cumbersome trick of inserting a special character at the start of the label to a more intuitive pop-up menu under the column name
- Minor bug fixes in scripts ("Event Place for Window Records" and "Create Web Site") and in one interface format ("Default Format").
- The search panel remains visible now when you switch to a different application.
Version 1.7 build 4 (released 12 Jun 2012)
This build mainly improved the script of generating a book using LaTeX including much better support for Unicode characters. A few other minor changes were made too.
- The script for generating books using LaTeX (from Book Style records) has several improvements:
- The book is now typeset (by default) using XeTeX, which allows complete support for Unicode characters and use of any font installed on your computer. See "Advanced" tab of previous Book Style records to activate this new feature.
- The book now includes many hyperlinks when viewing the PDF file on your computer.
- Some names did not appear in embedded trees and that issue is fixed.
- Sources were not listed in table of contents and chapter headings for index was wrong. Both issues are fixed.
- The method for attaching an individual to a family as a child (when they are not already in a family) has been simplified and improved. The link is done by clicking "Family" icons and you can now option-click to get the family record in one step.
- Fixed missing alert when changing place name in a place field for a place that is used in exactly one individual and one family. Before it would change them both without asking. Now it lets you know a change made in one of these records will affect more than one record and gives you a chance to change your mind.
Version 1.7 build 3 (released 20 Apr 2012)
This version fixed a couple of minor bugs and made some imrpovements in the book export to include tree charts in the book and a new format to help making books.
- The book preparation script was improved to have better wording for some events and to optionally include tree charts in the book.
- A new format called "Generations Book Preview" displays individuals in a style similar to book export and lets you edit data to optimize the book.
- You can now control click on a family tree cell with an inappropriate picture and set that individual to not have a portrait.
- The fields for editing URLs are improved. They now work more as expected, and its control-click menu has a command to enter editing mode (the previous option-click to edit method still works).
- A new script called "Four Gen Chart" produces a simple, one-page, four generation pedigree chart.
- The "US-UK-Canadian Census Report" script was updated to include the 1940 US census in the table.
- All known bugs were fixed: 1) memory bug that affected performance of certain trees; 2) bug in "Copy Special" command in build 2; and 3) bug in GEDCOM Validation report in some cases.
Version 1.7 build 2 (released 6 Feb 2012)
Whenever a new version comes out (such as Version 1.7) some features do not make it or some great ideas arise due to user feedback on using that version. Sometimes urgent bug fixes or needed. Fortunately, no serious bugs are know in version 1.7, but some good ideas came in and this upgrade responds to some of them:
- Mapping Features - Version 1.7 introduced place records and tools for entering a map for each place. Wouldn't it be nice to map events and places now possibly entered into your data? Many mapping options can be crated by using the scripting feature of GEDitCOM II. Two such scripts are included in this build:
For mapping to work best, you need to enter latitude and longitude for places and events. A new feature in this version is that you can attach a latitude and longitude to any address in your file. When event addresses have a latitude and longitude, it will be used for the map pin. In addition, a new "Visit" event has been added to individuals and families; it can be used to map travels along with other events.
- Places in This File - this new script will draw a map with pins on all the places in place records that have a known bounding box. You can map the entire world or selected continents.
- Events Places for Window Records - this new script will draw a map with pins for all events that occurred at address or place with known latitude and longitude. The map can be for one individual, one family and its individuals, or all individual and family records listed in the current front window.
- Place Advisor coverage now extends to the entire globe down to city, town and village level.
- Organizing Places - starting with Version 1.7, GEDitCOM II automatically organizes all your places. When you first open a file, it will create a place record for each place, even if the place names are spelled wrong or include non-place information, etc.. This version has some feature to help organizing places:
- Places seem to work best if place name is a town with no extra information and no address information (such as street address or church name). The recommendation is to move address information in place names to address fields instead. The method is not hard, but tedious. A new script called "Move Part of Place to Address" makes it easy.
- To encourage using address fields, address entries are now more prominent. They will be displayed under birth, death, and marriage places or appear when hovering of a event place (in the Default Format) and will by output in most reports, in books, and various report scripts.
- If you need to delete place records, this version will now warn you if the place is in use by any individual or family records. You can then decide to delete or not delete that place. If you do delete, it will remove the uses of that place in other records as well. Previously it would leave the place name in other records, which would cause GEDitCOM II to recreate the place record the next time the file was opened.
- Version 1.7 warned you every time you entered a new place name into an empty place field to verify you really want to create a new place. This warning is now skipped for files with less than 50 places (because you probably do want a new place when starting a new file) and a preference can turn off the warning altogether if you prefer.
- The "File Information" report includes number of place records and book style records (these were left out by mistake in Version 1.7).
- GEDitCOM II Enhancements - here are remaining (mostly minor) improvements:
- 64 bit version - GEDitCOM II is now 32/64 bit universal app. Running on 64 bit processors should be faster (although not very noticeable for common genealogy computing tasks) and work better with large files.
- Updated to latest version of the Media Browser window.
- Double clicking a deleted individual still visible in a tree will now not open a phantom record.
- New "Import→GEDCOM File..." menu command. It could be done before using the "Open" command, but some new users got stumped by lack of an "Import" command. Also, when you open GEDCOM file from another source, you are asked if you would like to validate the data (it is usually a good idea with unknown quality GEDCOM files).
- Each type of record (e.g., individual, families, reports, etc.) now has separate preference to remember its window size. The window sizess can be tailored to type of information in each record type.
- When sorting individual events and attributes, dates for attributes are now assumed to be a date period (e.g., FROM one date TO another) unless specifically stated as a range (e.g., BET one date AND another). Date periods sort by the first date in the period rather than the midpoint.
- Version 1.7 seemed to have lost the remember changes to column order and column size in the index window. That feature is now restored. The option is also added to the bounding box field in place records.
- After deleting records in the index window, the next one is selected. Before nothing was selected.
- Default Format Changes (and some other interface format changes):
- Rewrote script to open a place in GeoHack to work with many of the new latitude and longitude entry options.
- Uses up and down arrows to indicate further ancestors or descendants (used to have plus signs). Furthermore, you can customize the indicator strings using the Editing preferences of GEDitCOM II.
- A "Map"button in the "Events" pane will map events for that record.
- As mentioned above you can add lat and lon to all addressesand addresses are displayed in more places.
- Scripting Improvements
- New mapping scripts and place editing script.
- Script to export GEDCOM file with all notes embedded in records.
- Script to merge all identical notes.
- Book script improved to show addresses, fix some spelling and event errors, and various other improvements.
- The scripting description command now works with the new place and book style records.
- An application scripting property can get or set the main volume.
- The findStructures command can find all INDIEvents, INDIAttributes, INDIOrdinances, or FAMEvents in a single call.
- The GEDitCOMII module for python scripting was improved and is no documented in the GEDitCOM II help.
- GEDitCOM Editor and Interface Language Improvements:
sizeToFit command works better with text fields. Before they could be off by a line because of scroll bar size.
format property for some cells can use "%!" to compact lines of text to a single line for display in another field (used to display addresses in a single line).
- New read-only variables for the current printing margines (
Version 1.7 (released 6 Feb 2012)
This upgrade added three major features along with several minor ones. You should especially read about the new application support folders and the new place records before starting to use this version.
- Place Records - this version introduces place records. The first time you open a file, it will create a place record of each unique place listed in individual or family records. You will probably be motivated to use all the new place editing options to organize the place information in your file. The task may lead to new insights into your genealogy research.
- A new "Place Advisor" window gives you access to a large data base of information on places specially designed for genealogy research. This advisor is a helpful tool for organizing your place information.
- Book Style Records - this version introduces book style records that help you automate the process of running the Generations LaTeX book. Furthermore, all documentation on the book creation process is now within the internal GEDitCOM II help.
- New Application Support Folders - GEDitCOM II has always had two folders for application support files. The main install or "System" folder was in the "Library" folder of your hard drive with full path name
/Library/Application Support/GEDitCOMII. In the "Open Format" and "Scripts" menus, the resources in this folder were called "System Formats" and "System Scripts". The second or "User" folder was in your home directory with full path name
/Users/(your user name)/Library/Application Support/GEDitCOMII. The resources in this folder were called "User Formats" and "User Scripts". NEW: starting in version 1.7, these folders are moved and renamed. Here is what happens the first time your run version 1.7:
- The name of the "User" folder is changed from "GEDitCOMII" to "GEDitCOM II". The contents of your previous "User" folder will remain in the renamed folder.
- An entirely new "System" folder is installed within the "User" folder as a subfolder called "System". In other words, the new "System" folder full path will be
/Users/(your user name)/Library/Application Support/GEDitCOM II/System.
- The "System" folder for your last version GEDitCOM II will remain at
/Library/Application Support/GEDitCOMII, but will no longer be used.
The changes to the "User" folder in your home
Library/Application Support folder before and after using version 1.7 for the first time are illustrated in the following figure:
The folder name is changed to "GEDitCOM II" and a "System" subfolder is installed within the renamed folder.
The above changes should happen automatically and otherwise the use of the application support resources is unchanged. You might wonder why the change; there are three reasons:
- To conform with MacApp store - GEDitCOM II may be in the MacApp store in the future, but first it has to be changed to conform to Apple rules. Namely, applications from the MacApp store may not write files at the System level. Hence the "System" folder had to be moved to the user's library. Second, an application may write into a folder in the user's "Application Support" folder but only if the folder name exactly matches the application's name. Hence that folder had to be changed from "GEDitCOMII" to "GEDitCOM II"
- For easier installation - GEDitCOM II now maintains an internal copy for the "System" resources and installs them when needed. By this change, Apple's installation package is no longer needed. You can just drag GEDitCOM II to your Applications folder to install it. This change was also needed for MacApp store because it does not allow non-trivial installations.
- Easy restore of resources - since all resources are held in the GEDitCOM II application, a new preference has been added to let you re-install the system resources appropriate to the running version at any time. This process can be useful if the resources become corrupted.
Since version 1.7 leaves the old "System" folder for versions 1.6 or earlier (at
/Library/Application Support/GEDitCOMII), you can go back and run old versions of GEDitCOM II. Since version 1.7 changes the name of the "User" folder, however, the user resources will not be available in the old version. If you need any user resources, simple copy them from the new "GEDitCOM II" folder that gets created by version 1.7 into the "GEDitCOMII" that would get created by running the old version again. Hopefully there will be no need to every use an old version again. When you no longer have an older version, you may as well delete the old "System" library folder at
- Family tree charts were improved to allow portraits to be either to the left of the text or above the text.
- When you attach a child, the child's and parent's birth and death dates will be checked to alert you of possible errors when the dates do not seem consistent with that individual being a child in that family.
- You can sort multimedia objects by their date in individual or family records.
- Two new menu commands let you copy and paste events between records.
- Note and multimedia object records can be designated with a distribution setting, which affects some options when exporting them from the file.
- The process to export GEDCOM data was improved, has new options to work with new place records and book style records, and has new options for embedding GEDitCOM II-specific data. The scripting command to export to GEDCOM file was updated to allow the new options.
- Many improvements to the "Default Format":
- Pane bar shows number of events, multimedia, etc. available for that record.
- Scaling of multimedia objects is more intuitive and has a "fit" option.
- Pedigree chart in individuals and family group chart in families. These came from the former "Pedigree Format," which is now deleted because it is not needed.
- More information shown in table of children in families
- All formats have been updated to support new place records and book style records (wherever appropriate).
- The following are some minor changes and bug fixes:
- Date sorting when some dates describe a range is always a challenge. The new version sorts by the midpoint of date ranges unless the date is qualified by "From," in which case it sorts by the start of the range.
- Report details on individuals with "Has Died" checked but no date or place, will appear in reports as "deceased."
- Add option to attach source a second time (such as to cite another page in the same source).
- You can now type return or enter in any Search window text field to start the search. Furthermore, a "No Results" message is displayed if no results are found for a given search.
- Toggling the GEDCOM editor in the Index window will retain a constant editing area size.
- The Date preferences let you select case now when using abbreviated date words.
- A new expression option to work with place records.
- A new
show browserpane with id scripting command was added.
- A new
refresh formats scripting command was added.
- A new
close child scripting command was added.
countAll option in expressions to count tags in a record. It is used in the "Default Format" to display counts of various types of data in the window's pane bar.
- Can now control-click link button to multimedia object and select menu command to open the file immediately in a helper application.
- A new spelling menu command can turn off Lion's (annoying) automatic spell correction.
- The Create Web Site script (in web sites) was merged with the user-contributed "Create Tabular Web Site" to use all its nice features and add some new ones.
- Introduced a new Miscellaneous Tasks script (in editing tools) which may expand and new tasks are needed.
- Added a new Find Lineage Errors script (in editing tools).
- Added a user-written Timeline Report script to the default installation (in reports).
user openFolder, and
user saveFile scripting commands now all have options to change the title for the panel and to display a message prompt in the window to help the user.
- Now gives warning if try to set a multimedia object that is not at the main record level as a portrait.
- Fixed error in Find and Merge Duplicates script that failed when the file
had lineage errors. Also added new place records to the merging options.
- The GEDCOM source editor would change size when toggled on and off, but now remembers its size.
- Fixed error comparing dates that ARE ranges when deciding to merge two records.
- Fixed issue comparing date ranges when deciding if two records can merge to better calculate which records can be nerged.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash if multiple family tree windows were closed rapidly.
- Fixed bug in
date numbers scripting command for interpreted dates with no date text.
- Fixed a bug when opening GEDCOM file (extension
.ged) after opening other files.
- Fixed a bug that could crash following various combinations of saving the file and opening and closing windows on certain computers and when working with files that are slow to save.
- Improved method to decode GEDCOM data with many continuation and concatenation lines (
CONC lines). It could run out of memory before (with 1MB note records); it now handles any length notes and is faster.
- Fixed a bug that would crash when reading corrupted data when notes or sources link to themselves.
- Improvements in the GEDitCOM Editor
- Documentation on creating the new place editing fields
CellBackground property of many cells can now use
parent to set to the color of the parent object for the cell.
tabWidth property can use negative numbers to expand the size of the cell if it's text does not fit in the specified tab width.
- A new
watch property for cells implements a new method for updating one cell based on changes elsewhere in the file.
- A new
format property for
ExpressionField cells now also automatically display maps when they are assigned to the new
_BOX tag in the new Place records.
- Some fixes for use in Lion (such as to turn off automatic spell corrects in template code windows, which often have variables that are not spelled as actual words).
- Fixed context color error for strings containing back slashes.
Version 1.6, build 2 (released 9 Feb 2011)
This upgrade added some major improvements for scripting of GEDitCOM II using python. In addition it incorporated some interface enhancements and fixed all known issues.
- Python Modules - a powerful feature of Python is its ability to use modules that contain libraries of useful functions and classes. You can write your own modules or download those written by others. GEDitCOM II now provides a "Modules" folder in it's application support folder where it will always look for modules when running Python scripts. In addition:
- GEDitCOM II comes with a new
GEDitCOMII.py module that provides many convenience methods and classes to help when writing Python scripts.
- You can download a
Lifelines.py module that turns GEDitCOM II into a platform for emulation of programs written for the old genealogy program called Lifelines.
- Two new and advanced scripts:
- Scripting Support
- Added several new scripting commands:
date year, and
merge command added a "force" option to make sure the merge proceeds.
- Several new object properties were added:
previous structure, or
next structure (for a structure),
mother (for an individual).
citations properties were changed to return only notes, multimedia objects, and sources at the next subordinate level, because that seemed to make more sense. Before it returned them at all levels and if you really need all levels, the
find structures command can be used.
- Whenever you link to a new multimedia file that is not in a multimedia library folder, you will be offered the option to move or copy the file into a library folder. This alert can be turned off in the preferences.
- The menu command to copy a multimedia object to a new location can be changed to move the object by selecting the command with the option key held down.
- The Relationship panel was improved to find more unique relationships. Also, if there is more than one relationship, the panel will stay open when you get a chart in case you want to get more than one chart.
- A new home records submenu lets to assign up to 11 home records, all with keyboard equivalents (the old shift-command-H and now control-0 to control 9 as well).
- Back and forward menu commands changed to command-[ and command-] like in Safari
- The sheet to attach source, notes, multimedia objects, or research logs will remember the last one you selected. This can help, for example, when you are attaching the same source to several records in a row.
- New report to check all internal
html links in the file and to list the records that use
- Control clicking on links to records will almost always have an option to detach that link. Before the option might not have been available.
- Improvements in User Interface Formats
- The "Default Format" added sort icons for events, children, and spouses.
- Fixed internal issue that sometimes causes
html content rendered in an Expression field to not display at correct size and have other interface problems.
- A Repository can add multiple URLs now.
- Several issues when merging files, mostly related to notes with html content, were fixed:
- Notes with
html content and internal links to records now correctly update those links during the merge. Similarly when a record is deleted, links to that record in
html content are removed.
html content linked to cascading style sheets in the multimedia objects had problems in merging or when an object was deleted. Both are now fixed.
- Other bug fixes
- Two threaded tasks (merging two files or verifying all thumbnails) could run out of memory in very large files. These memory issues were fixed.
- Improvements to the GEDitCOM Editor:
- When editing Python or Ruby scripts, tabs are converted to 4 spaces. This helps especially when aligning code as required in the Python language.
- Find line number menu command added.
- Remembers the files opened in the Scripting Editing Workspace better.
Version 1.6 (released 13 Nov 2010)
The most visible changes were enhancement of trees to adjust cells to hold text and to have more customization options, a new memo feature to attach a quick note to any editing field, and upgrades in the GEDitCOM Editor toward an integrated development environment (IDE) for genealogy interfaces and scripts. Besides these main features, many others things were added.
- Tree charts were upgraded to be more powerful and have more customization:
- The boxes that display each individual now dynamically adjust in height to accomodate the text for each person. This change fixes the previous overflow of long text that did not fit in a box with the specified width. It also provides more compact trees because those with little information can optionally display in smaller boxes.
- Trees have some new preferences to set line styles and colors for the lines around boxes and between boxes and a new preference to select to preferred height for portraits in boxes.
- Trees used to always be centered; now the alignment uses the alignment setting for each column in the outline view. A new preferences sets the alignment for the name.
- Tree boxes for those with unknown sex are now filled with a gradient of colors between male and female fill colors.
- The rulers were improved to align better with cells in horizontal trees.
- A new "Memo" feature lets you add a short note to any text editing field:
- To add a memo, click in a field and use "Tree→Attach→Memo..." command (or control click on field and choose "Attach/Edit Memo.")
- A field with a memo while show a pencil icon that a memo is available and you can hover the mouse over the field to see the memo in a pop-up window.
- User experience changes (including minor bug fixes):
- When navigating between records that have multiple panes (e.g., individual, events, multimedia, etc.), GEDItCOM II does a better job of keeping you in the expected pane.
- New expressions created to get
middlename for any name. These expressions can be used in index window columns or in searches.
- You can comment any date field by following the date with text in parentheses.
span expression (for life span in years) has been changed to work directly on an individual. Previously it was used as
DEAT.DATE.span and only worked for those that had a death date.
- You can open any script for editing by selecting it in GEDitCOM II with the option key held down.
- Two new commands in the
html editing menu (by control clicking while editing web content in notes) will insert links to a selected individual or family record.
- Sorting of children in a family will look for baptism or christening dates for children that do not have birth dates.
- Multimedia drops on records (particularly when dropping files from the Finder) are much better and work where ever the drop occurs.
- Attaching multiple notes, sources, etc., would sometimes go in an arbitrary order. The new attachments now always go to the end of the list.
- Sheets to attach data would sometimes start with more then one item selected. It is now fixed.
- Controlling clicking to detach a link while in the middle of editing other data could lose the most recent edits. It is now fixed.
- The two buttons in the "Welcome Panel" will now let you open your two most recently opened files rather than the default sample files.
- Fixed bug in the "Find Field" in the index window that used to open windows at the wrong time (under certain event sequences).
- User Interface Formats and Template Language Improvements:
- A new user interface format called the "Chart Format" provides some charts for printing. It prints 4 generation pedigree charts for individuals, a family group chart for family records, and a complete summary of research log records. It can also print note records.
- The "Default Format" has been improved.
- The "GEDCOM Tab View" format was updated to display new memos (in a
- Expression fields that display web content did not always size correctly for the content. They now get the correct size.
- Some windows that resized for content did not resize correctly. They now do.
- "Unknown Spouse" links would not update when the spouse was attached. They now update correctly.
- New special variables:
soundex() function to get SoundEx codes for names.
IfNDef can check if a variable is defined.
- Enhancements to scripting features:
- All scripts have been organized into folders to group them by function. In addition many more scripts are included in the standard install package.
- You can open any script for editing by selecting it in GEDitCOM II with the option key held down.
- "Find Similar Surnames" script to find names that sound the same by comparing their SoundEx code.
- "US-UK-Canadian Census Report" updated from a prior script for new features and to have built in options for three countries.
- "Move Memos to Notes" extension can move all new memos to notes for exporting to other software that does not recognize memos.
- "Descendants Generations Report" (all versions) fixed a bug that did not output "(daughter)" correctly.
- "Create Web Site" script improved.
- "Export vCards" script is now twice as fast.
- "Add or Remove Keywords" had a bug removing keywords; it is fixed.
- New properties for objects were added:
- New commands are available:
runScript (to run a script),
refresh scripts (to refresh the scripts menu),
bulk reader (to read lots of data in a single command), and
can link (to determine if one record can link to another).
- Fixed error in
description command that might get wrong spouse name (
SN option) in a same-sex couple.
- The built-in "Media Browser" (from Karelia Software) has been undated to the latest version; a few people had crashes and hopefully the update will fix them.
- The "Date Calculator" would not start in some MacOS 10.4 systems. It was recompiled and now seems to work in all systems.
- Many improvements were made in the GEDitCOM Editor. The hope is that the GEDitCOM Editor will be viewed as an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing genealogy tools such as user interface formats for GEDitCOM II and for writing scripts to create genealogy reports or manipulate genealogy data:
- The editor has a new "Script Editing Workplace" for editing python and ruby scripts. You edit the scripts and click a button to run them in GEDitCOM II. The current scripts you have opened are remembered for the next time you run the GEDitCOM Editor and open the "Script Editing Workplace."
- You can open any python or ruby script in the GEDitCOM Editor by selecting it in GEDitCOM II with the option key held down.
- The template and script editing window has context-sensitive coloring to help in reading the code.
- A new menu command will indent user interface templates for logical blocks of code.
- Each template and script remembers the line you were editing and returns there the next time it is opened for editing.
- When viewing any browser window in GEDitCOM II, you can select the command to open the current format in the editor and it will open the template for that window.
- If an error occurs while developing a user interface format, the error window that appears in GEDitCOM II will have a button to open the template with the error in the GEDitCOM Editor.
Version 1.5, build 2 (released 26 Aug 2010)
The main new feature is the "Address Book" format for editing of records. Although this
format is not included in the installation package, you can download it from the formats download page. This new version is required to use this format. To create this new format, some new features were needed. Finally, a few minor bugs were fixed.
- A new user interface format called "Address Book" is available on the formats download page. This format turns GEDitCOM II into an address book. Its main purpose is to enter and edit residence events. In addition it displays and can edit notes on multimedia objects for each residence and for the main individual, can export vCards, can create an Address Book report, and can find all individuals in your files that have residences.
- Several new scripts are available for download:
- "Address Book" - create an address book report for all individuals that have documented residences.
- "Export vCards" - export all or selected records to a standard
.vcf file that can be imported into applications like Apple's Address Book application. It is most useful when the exported individuals have document residence information.
- "Find Special Events" script - finds all records having a selected type of event.
- "Fix FamilySearch Download" - some GEDCOM files downloaded from familysearch.org have minor issues with GEDCOM data. This script cleans up some known problems.
- The prior "Descendants Outline" script (to Report, to Pages, or to Word) had a bug and the fixed scripts have been posted.
- The prior "Create Web Site" script is improved in the way in handles multimedia objects linked to more than one record.
- Several enhancement to scripting options were added, including some used in the above new scripts:
local string for key command to retrieve translation of string into current language for the current format.
- The user input command now automatically selects the initial text for easier user editing.
- Application has a new
scriptMessage property that can read messages sent to scripts when run from a format (see
display command can specify sorting alone to sort the current list in the index window.
message visible property of the application determines if the panel that is displayed while scripts are running is visible or hidden. When hidden, it will reappear if needed to show a message to the user.
date text command has a new optional parameter to specify the format of the date created by the command.
object form property can read and set the FORM field for multimedia object records.
- Fixes and additions to the user interface formatting system:
reverse option in expressions will reverse a comma-separated list. It is most useful for place names to show the highest part (e.g., country) first rather then the smallest part (town). It can be useful when sorting by places.
- Some text fields used to draw with unneeded blank space below them and that space is now removed (this fix was in an upgrade previously posted 17 July 2010).
- Expression cells did not correctly set color and size of text, but now work correctly.
ScriptMessage property can send a message to a script that is run by a
- Added Swedish to the "Default Format"
- When you change column sorting in the index window, the previously selected records remain now selected.
- Your choice for "Check Spelling as you Type" now applies to all text fields and is remembered for new windows and even the next time your run GEDitCOM II.
- You can control click on cells in a family tree for a menu of options such as open the record or show ancestors and descendants.
- The search for "GEDCOM Text" was broken and is now restored (this fix was in an upgrade previously posted 17 July 2010).
- A crash was possible when going to next record while current record is still rendering
html content. It appears to be fixed.
- Reports that linked to email address did not correctly start your preferred email program, but now work correctly.
- Fixed problem where trees would sometimes print without the lines connecting the cells.
- Fixed problem printing formats with wide display, such as the "Pedigree Format." It now prints on multiple pages in width direction if needed.
Version 1.5 (released 11 July 2010)
This release is a free upgrade. The biggest change is to extend scripting capabilities of GEDitCOM II to Python and Ruby scripts as well as the previous AppleScripting capabilities. This new option may open up scripting to more people and allow scripts to tap more options, such as Python libraries. Besides improved scripting, numerous other enhancements were added as well.
- Scripting Improvements
- You can now control GEDitCOM II with Python or Ruby scripts. You can add such scripts to the scripts menu. Note: the technology to run Python and Ruby scripts became possible in MacOS Leopard (10.5); thus this new feature only works in Leopard or newer.
- Many new scripting commands were added. Many of the new ones facilitate user input in Python and Ruby scripts (such as entering a line of text, clicking a button, choosing from a list, or selecting files and folders). The standard print command support has been improved.
- The window that appears while running scripts has been enhanced to accomodate streaming of text output and has added a button to abort long Python or Ruby scripts, if desired. It is also resizable.
- Scripts can create custom records with any record type.
- New properties added for some objects and the application.
- A new search criterion was added that lets you limit the search to any album in the file. You can also select "...(Expression Ideas)" in the criterion menu to open a long list of expressions you can copy and paste to use for searching by an "Expression:" criterion.
- You can hold down the option key while attaching notes, a source, a multimedia object, or a research log, and it will immediately attach new notes, a new source, a new multimedia object, or a new research log. It saves the step of opening a sheet and clicking the "New" button.
- You can enter a secondary sort rule for a column to further sort records that have the same value by the primary expression (e.g., sort individuals with same name by their birthdate).
- Many "?" (or help) buttons take you directly to help on the current window. You can add such a button to each toolbar, if desired, by customizing the toolbars and that added button will open help for the current type of window.
- Two new scripts let you automatically download and install user interface formats and scripts that are available on geditcom.com
- The help is now searchable (but only if you choose to open the help in Apple's help viewer).
- User Interface Format and Language Improvements
- Fixed some issues in the "Wiki Genealogy" format
- Scripts can be embedded in user interface formats and activated by clicking a button or control clicking a text editing field (see new
ScriptType options in the GEDitCOM Editor). Some scripts were add to current formats:
- You can control click Name editing fields to change case of that name (using above
- You can control click longitude/latitude field to open that location in a web site with lots of location information (using above
- When various windows in the Default Format are linked to one set of notes, the entire notes will be displayed (including formatting of html content). Click the "Edit" button to edit the notes. If the same location is linked to two or more note records, they will each be displayed as a link to open the full notes.
- Minor Fixes
- If GEDitCOM II was left running for several days, it could lose its temporary folder (MacOS would delete it) and certain features would stop working until restarting. The temporary folder is now automatically recreated if needed.
- Fixed problem where you could not type accented characters in to raw GEDCOM text field in the index window.
- Fixed a pronoun in narrative reports.
Version 1.4 (released 19 April 2010)
This release is a free upgrade. It adds a major feature to create thumbnails for multimedia objects and many other minor improvements. Improvements in the formatting language made a new format possible that displays your data like Wikipedia entries. Finally, this version also opens up GEDitCOM II to be free as a GEDCOM data reader so you can share data easily with anyone that has a Mac.
- GEDitCOM II is now free to use as a GEDCOM file reader. Thus, you can send your data to a relative with a Mac and then can download and use GEDitCOM II to view the genealogy data. You still need a registered copy to save changes or export data.
- GEDitCOM II will now create thumbnails for all multimedia objects with images. This change allows you to work much faster with files having many multimedia objects, particularly if the multimedia files contain large images. It also adds an option for the file to travel with the thumbnails and thus be able to display at least a small image even if the original multimedia files are not available.
- For non-image multimedia objects, GEDitCOM II will try to display the icon for the multimedia file type. It should work for most standard types of files.
- You can control click any editing field to have new options such as starting a Google search on that text.
- You can control click any date field to do date calculations such as converting calendars, finding day of the week, or finding age of individual on that day.
- The Find/Replace panel now works in any editing field.
- Relationship search avoids duplicate families and thus gives more accurate results.
- Many changes to the GENerel formatting language have made new features in the user interface formats possible:
objectImage cell property now looks for thumbnails and uses that instead of reading the entire file.
- To have a cell look for the full scale image, a new
objectFull cell property can be used in place of
- A new
#thumbnailSize$ read-only variable gives the current size being used for thumbnail images.
CreateLinkButton will create links at any location in the data where previously it could only create a link at the root level of the current window.
- Similarly, the
optionalTag command can be used to allow creation of tags subordinate to other data, while previously it could only create tags at the root level of the current window.
- A new
lineheight property for static or expression fields can set the spacing between lines in the field.
#displayHeight$ read-only variable to find the height of the current window.
- The conditional
if #string is htmldiv will test if the string is a
<div> element and therefore contains
- Added string functions
chars() to extract substrings from a string,
word() to extract any word in a string,
offset() to locate a substring within a string, and
replace() to replace substring within a string.
- Fixed error in the
#bottomMargin$ read-only variable.
- Fixed error that did not correctly set an array variable with a variable array index (e.g.,
#var[#i]=3 would not work before,but does now).
- User-Interface Format Changes:
- A entirely new "Wiki Genealogy" format has been written.
- All formats revised (as needed) to support the new thumbnails feature.
- Formats with multimedia links now separate images from web site links to give a better display.
- Added option to enter web site address for a repository.
- Some email fields are now followed by a button to send an email message (by starting your mail application with the entered address).
- Added separate scale and zoom settings to multimedia objects to make the display more clear.
- When printing records in a given format, the print margins now account for extra margins in that format, thereby giving better print results.
- GEDitCOM Editor changes:
- When a new template is opened, a record editing template is selected and ready for editing. It will look for the "INDI Record Editing" first. If that is not found, the first record editing template found will opened instead.
- The help information has been updated for the new GENerel language features listed above.
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed bug when merging source, note, or multimedia object records in a file that had recently been saved. The records merged OK, but the links to those records could have been reverted to previous record when later saving the file.
- Fixed issue where you could accidentally paste multiple lines of text into a field meant to only have a single line of text (Leopard and earlier).
- Fixed bug finding relationships in Leopard or earlier.
- Fixed problem that could cause recent editing change to be ignored
- Fixed problem on file open if album not found
- Fixed labeling error in relationship trees
- Fixed operation of tabs in child windows opened from a main record window
- Fixed problem where relationship calculation could find no relationship after relatives report had been recently generated involving those same individuals (fixed in second posting on 25 Apr 2010).
Version 1.3 (released 09 January 2010)
This release is a free upgrade. It made major enhancements in generation of very large trees with numerous interconnections, added much more power to the AppleScripting interface, and numerous other improvements picked by us or suggested by users.
- Build 2: pasted 26 Jan 2010: a couple of interface issues were noticed and were fixed. While posting, some new features were added as well:
- After a "View→Relationship..." search, select any relationship that was found and click the new "Show Chart" button see a chart/report about the two individual's common ancestor including full pedigree lines from each individual to that common ancestor.
- While viewing notes, sources, multimedia objects, or research logs, two new commands in the "Attach" submenu let you select individual or family records and have them cite the record you are viewing. Previously you had to go to the individual or family record to attach the link.
- Similarly, you can drag and drop individual and family records on to notes, sources, multimedia objects, or research logs and those records will link to the drop-target record
- New menu commands in the "Go" submenu let you step through records in the current album being displayed in the index window.
- The display of multimedia objects in the "Default Format" and the "Pedigree Format" now uses several panes and one will zoom in on the current image. Additionally images can be scaled for preferred display size and other formats updated to look for the scale setting.
- Marriage Events now also show in the "Events" pane of family records in the "Default Format."
- Added support for research log records in the "Book Format" and the "Basic Format."
- Fixed a bug that could cause the data in the current browser record to become disconnected (and therefore seemingly unresponsive to editing, although no data was harmed) if you saved the file while editing.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a "child" window (e.g., a window with details on an event) to become disconnected from the data in certain rare sequences of actions.
- A major improvement is to that all family trees and ancestor or descendant reports now watch out for duplicates in the trees. When large trees include the same individual be different branches, the tree can quickly grow to astronomical size. Now when a duplicate is encountered, the tree stops and is cross-referenced back to the original appearance. With this change, you can generate trees for much larger files without losing any information (doubling clicking a duplicate will show the original appearance of that individual to continue tracing ancestors or descendants).
- The Date Calculator application is now included with GEDitCOM II. Just start the Date Calculator and enter your GEDitCOM II user name and unlocking code.
- A new "Read To Me" menu command will describe the currently selected record using speech generation. You can add an icon for this command to most tool bars.
- A large number of improvements were made to the AppleScripting feature of GEDitCOM II. These features were used to provide many new scripts as well:
- Many new commands and properties make it easier to access genealogy data in records. Consult GEDitCOM II's dictionary using Apple's ScriptEditor and revised GEDitCOM II help on scripting to see them all.
- The AppleScripting help in GEDitCOM II was greatly expanded making it easier to learn how to write scripts for GEDitCOM II.
- Previous scripts were revised and new scripts were written to use the new properties and commands. These changes make the scripts run faster (the "Find Disconnected Script" is now much faster).
- Many new scripts were written and are either included in the GEDitCOM II installation or available for download on this web site.
- Two particular scripts make it much easier to share your data as a GEDCOM file with friends including copies of all multimedia objects linked to the exported records. The export is even compressed to a
.zip file ready for emailing.
- Replaced the "Copy Special" script with a built-in "Copy Special" menu command. If desired, you can customize tool bars to include a new "Copy Special" icon.
- Merging has been improved:
- Better at merging dates and merging structures with non-conflicting subordinate data (thus less things to fix after merging records)
- When new records are merged into a file, they are added to an album (like iPhoto or iTunes creates a "Last Import" album)
- Select two records in the index window and merge.
- Automated merging of records after merging of files is in the works and will be in a future version (if you can't wait you can use a new scripting command to merge records and write your own script to automate merging of records).
- Several improvements for using iPhoto with GEDitCOM II:
- Will read date when an image is dragged from iPhoto
- Will recognize changed keywords without needing to restart GEDitCOM II
- Works well with multiple iPhoto libraries so you can create a custom library to hold just your genealogy photos
- Button to add current iPhoto library in the multimedia options panel
- Improvements to user interface formats:
- Added number of children (
NCHI) to optional data for family records.
- Fix bug that could fail to display with multiple birth or death events.
- More languages in selected formats
- Localizes names of generic events types when using different languages
- Some minor changes to the GEDCOM decoder were made to make GEDitCOM II even more compatible with other software that does not follow the GEDCOM rules, while still maintaining GEDitCOM II's adherence to the standard.
- Fixed issue where number of records of each type or in an album would disappear after editing the name
- If saved while editing a text field, any recent changes made to that field would not be in that save, but now they are.
- Fixed bug that could crash in MacOS Tiger when restating a tree that is or was in chart mode.
Version 1.2 (released 7 November 2009)
This release is a free upgrade. It redesigned some formats, enhanced embedded
html content, added support for same-sex couples, and numerous other improvements picked by us or suggested by users.
- Build 2 - posted 22 Nov 2009: fixed minor issues and added a few features.
- New start screen alerts use of a new version and helps new users get started.
- On-line tutorials are available and menu commands in GEDitCOM will open the web sites.
- Cross links in Ahnentafel reports were changed from "original appearance" to providing the number for the linked appearance.
- New option for "Abbreviated" GEDCOM words in dates.
- A new menu command can open the current format in the GEDitCOM Editor.
- Portuguese added to the "Default Format"
- Minor bug fixes: a. Same-sex couples in descendants family trees fixed; b.
parents families scripting property returned to finding primary parents only; c. Typos in new language options in the "Default Format"
- Fixed minor bugs in "Create Web Site" script and added option to hide personal information for individuals marked as "privacy" records.
- Version tested and verified to work in Snow Leopard.
- Many features of the user interface formats were improved:
- The "Default Format" and "Pedigree Format" now divide the window into "Panes" or "Tabs" where each pane has related data (e.g., details, events, multimedia, notes and source, etc.). In addition, the format was improved in many (mostly minor) ways.
- The previous "Default Format" with a single pane for all data is still included and it is called "Default One Pane Format."1834. Alternatively, you can see use the "All" pane in the new "Default Format."
- French and Spanish translations added to "Default Format" (both versions) and to the "GEDCOM Tab View" format.
- The "Book Format" was rewritten (although appearance is not changed much).
- A new "Basic Format" was written for those that want their own user interface formats. This formats handles all the behind-the-scenes work letting you to concentrate on appearance of the data. This format is not include in the download, but is now available on the user interface formats downloads page.
- The "Formats" folders in the GEDitCOM II libraries, can now contain subfolders to organize formats. The folders will translate to submenus in the "Open Format" menu.
- The new "Reveal User Formats in Finder" and "Reveal System Formats in Finder" menu commands will open the selected formats folder in the Finder and activate the Finder.
- A new "Bookmarks" menu in the web menu can be customized with links to all your favorite genealogy web sites.
- The use of embedded
html content in your data has been enhanced. It can now display embedded maps (which is very useful in genealogy notes). There is now a pop-up menu while editing notes that helps you convert to using
html text and helps in entering common elements like tables, lists, and sections. You can drag records to
html text to insert a link to that record.
- You can now send all records linked to a report to a selected album
- The reports that check dates or validate GEDCOM data can now be done on a subset of records (such as selected records or records in an album). Previously these reports always checked the entire file.
- The "All Relatives..." report will now find half-blood relationships and step parents (or step grandparents, etc.).
- Family tree charts can optionally display page lines so you can tell how it will print. The page lines can be hidden with a new menu command. The new page lines and the previous disclosure triangles are hidden when a chart is printed.
- You can now create families with same-sex couples.
- The "Attach Child" sheet will initially activate the "Find Field" and guess that the child's last name will match the husband's surname.
- The "Referenced By" menu command now also works for Repository Records so you can see all sources linked to that record.
- You can control click a multimedia object thumbnail link to select that object as the current record's portrait image.
- Changes to AppleScripting:
- The "Scripts" folders in the GEDitCOM II libraries, can now contain subfolders to organize scripts. The folders will translate to submenus in the "Scripts" menus.
- The new "Reveal User Scripts in Finder" and "Reveal System Scripts in Finder" menu commands will open the selected scripts folder in the Finder and activate the Finder.
- Three separate scripts to change the case of names were combines into a single "Change Name Case" script.
- A new "Copy Special" script copies basic information on selected records to the clipboard. You can paste into email message or any text document.
- Six separate scripts to find disconnected records were combined into a single "Find Disconnected Records" script.
- Bug fixes and other minor changes:
- Added custom
_EMAIL tag to Repository Records to document the email address of the repository.
- When checking for new version on the Internet, it will now check the build number as well. Before it only looked at the main version number. You will thus be notified, for example, if a build 2 of version 1.2 is posted while you are running build 1.
- Fixed GEDitCOM II version number in Header Record of new files.
- Fixed message that could claim the file had been changed by another application when it had not been changed.
- Fixed bug that would not read all longitudes correctly from photos having embedded GPS data.
- GEDitCOM Editor changes and changes made to the GENerel template language:
- When language strings are loaded for editing they will be sorted by the key.
- When synchronizing languages, information on unused strings will be printed to the Console.
- User interface formats can now be configured for multipane display (and this feature is used in "The Default Format" and the "Pedigree Format"). A new PaneBar cell helps in create an index to the different sections of a record.
if tag is here (or
nothere) command can check multiple tags at the same time with
if tag1|tag2|tag3 is here.
controlSize property to control size of buttons and pop-up menus.
sizeToFit command has new option to insure resize will keep the cell in the current row.
Hide command to hide selected GEDCOM tags from view.
#macOS$ variable can be used to test the MacOS system in use.
Version 1.1 (released 17 August 2009)
This release is a free, maintenance upgrade. It fixed a few minor issues in version 1.0, incorporated numerous user suggestions, and made great enhancements to the AppleScripting features including a new script to create a web site and a progress panel that appears while scripts are running. Some user suggestions did not make this release but most of those are still on the "to do" list.
- Build 4 - posted 24 April 2009: a few minor enhancements:
keywords property for AppleScripts that were needed for the new Add or Remove Keywords script; an option to search for text "not contained" in the GEDCOM text of records; and Error is hilighted in red in the date checking report.
- Build 3 - posted 22 April 2009: a bug that could cause notes, sources, multimedia objects, or research logs that are connected to more than one record to be deleted when detaching from one of those records is fixed. All those that downloaded earlier builds of version 1.1, should download this version instead.
- Build 2 - posted 19 April 2009: Somehow, the Pedigree Format was corrupted in the original download. It was fixed in this new build including a minor fix to the code to let GEDitCOM II continue to run if such corrupted formats are encountered on start up in the future.
- AppleScripting Improvements
- A new script called "Create Web Site" will create a complete web site from any file. This script was made possible by some of the AppleScripting features listed below.
- When scripts are run in GEDitCOM II, a new panel appears. The script can optionally post progress information to the panel and report results when the script is done (all provided scripts were revised to use this new feature). Furthermore, if the script has an error, the error message will appear in the panel; previously the error message was writing to the Console app and was easy to miss.
betaNumber properties of GEDitCOM II application can be checked to verify the running version can run the current script.
parent families and
spouse families of individual records can be read to get list of references to those family records.
- Some new commands (
date format, and
date text) are available for date processing.
- A new
display function tells the index window to display any desired records and optionally sort them by an available column.
safe html command is useful for formatting text for inclusion in web sites.
notify progress command lets a script post the fraction completed in the new GEDitCOM II AppleScript panel.
copyFile command can copy a multimedia object file to a new location.
life span property for an individual will return life span such as "1834-1898."
event date property will look for a date information subordinate to a structure.
- When creating a new record, you can now specify it's GEDCOM ID.
- Previously, many commands could only be used in "tell" blocks for certain objects. Now all commands that deal with generic calculations (e.g.,
date parts and many of the new commands) work with all GEDitCOM II objects.
- User Interaction Improvements
- Detaching Event/Attribute/Link for an individual now also list links to family records so you can detach a person as a child or spouse right from their individual record. Previously you had to open the family record for those detachments.
- The dialog sheet to attach a file has button to attach "New Son" and holding down the option key changes it to "Daughter." Although the option key worked before, the button always said "New Individual."
- For each of the record types in the index window (e.g., individual families, sources, etc.), the currently selected records are remembered when you reopen that type. These selected records for each type are also remembered if you save the file and then reopen later.
- Selecting a checked item in the "Add Column" tool bar item menu will now remove that column rather than add a second one of the same type.
- A new
id expression can be used in an index window column to display the record's GEDCOM ID.
- A new
span expression can be used in an index window column or in tree tables and charts to display an individual's life span.
- When customizing the columns of tree tables and charts, you can begin any label with a minus sign ("-") to show the label in the table mode, but omit the label in the chart mode.
- Divider bar locations in the index window are remembered for the next time you open a file and when you restart GEDitCOM II.
- When you detach a link to notes, a source, a multimedia object, or a research log record that causes that record to no longer be linked to any record, the dialog box that appears is more clear and has a cancel option.
- Closing the preferences window while editing a field would not commit that last change. The last edit is now always saved when the window is dismissed.
- When creating new notes, the window now properly opens in front instead of sometimes behind another window (fixed in 1.0, build 5).
- Some photos taken with new cameras (e.g., the iPhone) have GPS information. Linking such a photo to GEDitCOM II will now read the GPS data and include it as latitude and longitude information stored under the location field.
- Keywords embedded within photo files (as done by some applications besides iPhoto) are now read and put in the keywords field.
- Reading keywords when dragging from iPhoto worked for some drags but not all; it now works for all.
- User Interface Format Improvements
- You can enter latitude and longitude for any "Place" field by clicking the "Details" icon. You can do the same for multimedia object's "Location" field (custom
- All dates in user interface formats use the user-preferred date style from the GEDitCOM II preferences.
- An individual's residence (
RESI tag) is now displayed in attributes and shows the first line of the address. Click the details button to edit.
- You can enter email address for submitter records (custom
- Attaching new multimedia at first might not get the correct title, but does now.
- Fixed some minor issues in the Default and Pedigree Format displaying notes with source links.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed relatives search problem for some people with no children (fixed in 1.0, build 4)
- Fixed some errors in the "Check Dates" report (treatment of date errors, mislabeled which parent was dead, and some wording) (fixed in 1.0, builds 3 and 5)
- Merging two records could delete notes by mistake, but is now fixed (fixed in 1.0, build 2).
- Deleting all text in a child window, closing that window, and then opening again would appear that the text had not been deleted. It now appears correctly as deleted.
- Fixed editing of album names that could sometimes leave two numbers in parentheses when in Leopard.
Version 1.0 (released 7 June 2009)
This was the first official release of GEDitCOM II. Following the first posting, a few minor
updates were posted (as indicated by build numbers from 1 to 5 in the "About GEDitCOM II"
panel. Changes made in those extra builds were made official in GEDitCOM II, version 1.1 and are listed above in these release notes.